Wednesday 11 November 2009

Restaurant review - Farang

I wanted to love this place - the location is really handy and central, and just around the corner from my parents' place, I love how it's attached to the Taidehalli, and I was starting to get cravings for Thai food.  I have to say - I've never been a huge fan of Asian fusion, it kind of feels like they can't get any Asian dish just right.  But I'm always up for being proved wrong!

One thing I just can't get used to in Finland is the cloakrooms... Farang has a big cloakroom as soon as you walk in, and you are expected to leave your coat there, in this hallway which everyone walks through to get in and out of the restaurant.  It might be normal here in Helsinki, and maybe I should learn to trust people more, but I just didn't feel comfortable leaving my belongings unattended in an area that people walk through all night.

Top tip: If going to Farang, make sure you book in advance, and ask to be seated in the first room with smaller tables.  The place get pretty full, even mid-week, and you'll get ushered into the next room which is fine, but not quite up to standard when looked at in context with the hefty price tags of this place.

First impressions on the menu: We didn't understand it!  Would have been great, and much less pretentious, to have clear explanations for each dish, or at least helpful staff who wouldn't mind explaining what the often foreign words meant.  We ended up having a gorgeous melange of three dishes; a cold beef salad, crunchy pork, and curry.  All beautifully presented, and extremely tasty.  Banana cake with coconut ice cream for dessert is not to be missed!  My white wine, Fleur de Lotus, was beautiful and went down better than Evian at room temperature.

The verdict?  Gorgeous, tasty food and drinks at close-to obscene prices.  At prices like this you do expect everything to be pretty perfect, and I would say the atmosphere in the second room, as well as the attitude of some of the staff, needs some work.  Also, I'm not the most faint-hearted, but is it appropriate to name a cocktail the "Bali Bomber"?
Will we be back?  Something tells me, yes we will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails