Friday 15 January 2010

Wedding dress shopping in Helsinki...

I've been looking for that perfect wedding gown for a few months now, and I've got a firm favourite in a store just down the street from where we live.  Exciting stuff!  Thought I would share some of my dress hunting experiences, as they might be helpful to others on the lookout for their perfect dress!

Some good hints and tips:
- Start well in advance!  Delivery times for dresses can range from 3 to up to 6 months, and you'll probably need to put time aside for a seamstress to do some work on it as well.  Our wedding is at the end of August, and I don't think I'm looking a day too early.
- If you can, try to book fittings at some stores, to ensure that they have time to see you.  Mornings and early afternoons, and all day Friday are really busy times!
- Wear tights if you don't want to be seen in your underwear!
- Have a look through websites and magazines before going into stores, to get an idea of what style you like.  Show it to the girls in the stores.  Also it's a good idea to ask the shop personnel what their favourite dresses are.  They know the dresses really well, and can make some great recommendations.
- Think about the colour of your dress.  Some people's skin tones are better suited to off-white, while others look better in bright white. I can't wear off-white, I look totally washed out!

Highly recommended stores:
- Seremonia.  Great service, and gorgeous dresses, particularly from Pronovias and Atelier Diagonal.
- Niinatar.  Super sweet service, and lots of dresses at great prices.
- Stockmann.  Selection lightly old-fashioned, but worth a look.  Best space and great mirrors to see your dress.
- Stilissima.  Lovely service.  Stocks Cymbelline dresses, which are just gorgeous!

Not so highly recommended stores:
- Meslewi.  The most bizarre service I've ever received.  Don't waste your time.
- Lavem.  The ladies working there completely ignored me and my mom.

I might still have a quick look in Morsmaikku, and will be checking out the dresses etc. at this weekend's wedding fair!

x


(Dress: Pronovias)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails