Monday 3 May 2010

Experiences in Helsinki workplaces, pt. 1

Job no. 1, unnamed marketing agency, high level marketing position.

At the interview

Company owner:  Our goal is to be the best and most wanted employer not just in Finland, not just in Scandinavia, but in the whole of Europe.
Me:  Ok, sounds great!  (Pretty ambitious for a small agency, but it's always good to aim high, isn't it?)

First day on the job


Me: Hi!  Would someone like to go for lunch with me?
Group of girls: (Grumble, grumble, no clear answers given, no one moves so I'm guessing I need to find a lunch place on my own)

- Old dirty laptop I'm given is not working
- No phone, mobile or desk phone
- Despite my requests, no one has time to brief me on anything
- > I sit at my desk texting my boyfriend and watching the clock for 8 hours

Second day on the job


Me:  Hi, how are you?  I was told you would be able to order me phone...?
Office / HR assistant:  I'll get back to you when I have time.  I'm really busy.  (Gets back to school books)
Me:  Ok.  Would be great to get the phone as soon as possible though, because I'm making all my work calls on my own phone.
Office / HR assistant:  No one's said anything to me about a phone.  I said I'll get back to you when I'm less busy.  (Turns back to school books)

Later that day

Me:  Hi, how are you!?  Nice to see you again!
New colleague, who is also an ex-colleague from a previous client-agency relationship:  Fine.

Still no brief on my work / the agency.

Third day on the job

Me:  Hi!  I've been trying to reach you about fixing my computer.  Please could you come over and have a look at it asap?
IT support:  I might be able to make it tomorrow...

Still no brief on my work / the agency.

Fourth day on the job

Office / HR assistant:  Ok, we can talk about getting you that phone now...

Most relevant people can't make any of my scheduled briefings.

Fifth day on the job

Me:  I'm really sorry, I'm not going to stay in this job company.
New boss #1:  What?  Everyone here is so nice!
New boss #2:  That's ridiculous!

And so I left.  Word.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails